Details of these new publications were originally circulated by Elisa Mason on the incredibly useful: Forced Migration Current Awareness Blog. Further details can be found on the website at: http://fm-cab.blogspot.co.uk/
New Publications on Gender Issues
Action Research with Refugee Women: Good Practice and Solutions to Community Participation (IARS &IDRICS, 2013) [text]
“Becoming Queer Here: Integration and Adaptation Experiences of Sexual Minority Refugees in Toronto,” Refuge, vol. 28, no. 2 (2011) [open access text]
Blind Alleys: The Unseen Struggles of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex Urban Refugees in Mexico, Uganda and South Africa (ORAM, Feb. 2013) [access]
– Part I is “Guidance for NGOs, Governments, UNHCR & Program Funders”; Part II is country findings (presented in three separate reports).
Guidelines on the Transposition of the Asylum Qualification Directive: Protecting LGBTI Asylum Seekers (ILGA Europe, 2012) [access]
UN Report Highlights Displaced Women and Girls’ Risk for Sexual Violence, Demands Greater Action to Help Survivors (AlertNet, March 2013) [text]
Women’s Asylum News, no. 116 (March/April 2013) [full-text via Refworld]
– Lead article is “Missed Out Campaign – Success.”
New Publications on Asylum/Protection
Lettres Actualités Droits-Libertés (Centre de Recherches et d’Etudes sur les Droits Fondamentaux) [access]
– Browse back issues of these legal analyses to locate a number that focus on asylum and refugee issues; examples of “Letters” published so far in 2013 include: “Consécration du visa de transit aéroportuaire (VTA) comme instrument de police de mise à distance des demandes d’asile“; “Droit d’asile: Le Conseil d’Etat aux prises avec les mutilations génitales féminines”; and “État des lieux alarmant des conditions d’accueil des demandeurs d’asile en France.”
New Network Monitors Abuses of Deportees (IRIN, March 2013) [text]
– Discusses the Fahamu Refugee Programme’s Post-Deportation Monitoring Network.
A Numbers Game: Counting Refugees and International Burden-Sharing, Tasmania, 19 Dec. 2012 [text]
– Public lecture.
Oral Update on the High Commissioner’s 2012 Dialogue on Protection Challenges: Faith and Protection, 56th Meeting of the Standing Committee, 5-7 March 2013 [text]
– See also related presentation.
Refuge, vol. 28, no. 2 (2013) [open access text]
– Special issue on “Is the 1951 Refugee Convention Outdated?”; includes three feature articles on refugee camps, urban refugee livelihoods, and protection in Ireland, respectively. These are followed by three focused sections on asylum policy in Canada, protection in South Africa, and CARFMS 2012 conference presentations.
Refuge from Inhumanity: Enriching Refugee Protection Standards through Recourse to International Humanitarian Law, Oxford, 11-12 Feb. 2013 [info]
– A podcast is available for “Panel VII: Perspectives on Protection against Refoulement under IHL.”
Refugee Protection Seminar Series, Oxford, 16 Jan.-6 March 2013 [info]
– Podcasts of the various presentations are available on FMO.
New Publications on Statelessness
Adopting the Stateless (SSRN, Feb. 2013) [text]
– “This article proposes a nexus of statelessness and intercountry adoption where legislation is put forward to adopt stateless individuals, particularly children. This article will analyze pending legislation for the adoption of North Korean stateless persons and recommend legislation to address broader issues of statelessness.”
Background Note on Gender Equality, Nationality Laws and Statelessness (UNHCR, updated March 2013) [text]
– Reviews laws in 29 countries which do not allow women to confer nationality to their children.
Debating the ‘Right to Citizenship’ (ENS Blog, March 2013) [text]
– Comment re. recent seminar on “The Right to Citizenship: Towards fuller implementation of Article 15 UDHR,” Maastricht, 7 March 2013.
Lost in the Forest: Stateless Children in Borneo’s Palm Oil Industry (Pulitzer Center, Jan. 2013) [access]
– Video report.
No Residence, No Rights (ENS Blog, March 2013) [text]
– Focuses on Serbia.
Statelessness and Citizenship: Camps and the Creation of ‘Political Space’, Oxford, 20 Feb. 2013 [access]
– Podcast of this seminar now available.