Idea for a London Migration Network
By Paul Dudman.
Good day and I hope this blog posting find you well.
I am taking the opportunity to think aloud a little bit with these posting so please do bear with me. I was just wondering if it is worth exploring the possibility of trying to establish a London Migration Network. I hope I have not been drinking too much coffee when drafting this idea, but I thought I would give it a go!
During our recent civic engagement and outreach project (the Living Refugee Archive) as part of the Refugee Archives located at the University of East London, I was looking at example of good practice in relation to engaging communities and creating networks with the UK refugee and migration fields. One example that did seem to be very successful was the Leicester Migration Network, developed within the University of Leicester. This seemed like a fantastic idea and something I felt that could be replicated within London, providing an opportunity for anyone working or studying within these fields within London could become a member of and connect with others and as a hub to share information.
Thinking aloud, some objectives for the network might include, but are not restricted too:
- Community engagement and the sharing of knowledge through events (workshops, seminars, webinars), working papers, and the Web (website, social media) on a range of aspects associated with the refugee and migration experience.
- Enhancing networking opportunities for the exchange of information between academics, students, researchers, practitioners and members of the public, including opportunities for virtual and physical networking and advice.
- Raising awareness and promotion of the value, relevance and importance of “refugee archives” for education, research, heritage and community engagement.
- Providing access to news, online content and funding opportunities.
- Collaboration with other networks.
I don’t know what the wider community might think of this but I am more than happy to receive any initial feedback, whether positive or negative, to this idea. Do please get in touch if you have any ideas – my contact details are: Paul Dudman, email@example.com or Tweet me at @refugee_archive
Re-blogged from the Living Refugee Archive at: www.livingrefugeearchive.org/idea-for-a-london-migration-network/