Details of these new publications were originally circulated by Elisa Mason on the incredibly useful: Forced Migration Current Awareness Blog. Further details can be found on the website at: http://fm-cab.blogspot.co.uk/
Publications on Europe
Between a Rock and a Hard Place: The Dilemma Facing Refused Asylum Seekers (Refugee Council, Dec. 2012) [text
Do the European Integration Fund and European Refugee Fund Contribute Effectively to the Integration of Third-Country Nationals?, Special Report, no. 22 (European Court of Auditors, Dec. 2012) [text]
Frontex: More of the Same?, Paper presented at conference on “The Governance of Asylum and Migration in the European Union,” Salford, UK, 26-27 January 2012 [text]
Human Rights Violations in the Field of Migration: A Collective Responsibility (European Policy Centre, Dec. 2012) [text]
Immigrants, Asylum Seekers, and Ethnic and Religious Minorities in the Leveson Report (Compas Blog, Dec. 2012) [text]
“Migrant Deaths and the Kater Radez I Wreck: From Recovery of the Relict to Marine Taphonomic Findings and Identification of the Victims,” International Journal of Legal Medicine, Online First, 12 Dec. 2012 [free full-text]
– Note: Free access is only available through December 2012.
“My Life as a Refugee” Photography Exhibit (JRS Europe) [access]
– Taken by refugees themselves, these photos “show the daily life of refugees in five European countries: Italy, Malta, Portugal, Romania and the United Kingdom.” See image above.
Statewatch Analysis: The Common European Asylum System: State-of-play Update (Statewatch, Dec. 2012) [text]
Publications on Africa
Gaps in Geneva, Gaps on the Ground: Case Studies of Somalis Displaced to Kenya and Egypt during the 2011 Drought, New Issues in Refugee Research, no. 248 (UNHCR, Dec. 2012) [text]
“Human Rights, Dignity and Well Being: The Plight of Zimbabwean Refugees and Displaced People in Southern Africa,” Developing Country Studies, vol. 2, no. 10 (2012) [open access text]
Mali: Outside the Spotlight, Displaced People in Urgent Need of Assistance (Refugees International, Dec. 2012) [text]
– Includes video report.
Our Lives: A Survivors’ Guide to Hard Time (IRIN, Dec. 2012) [access]
– “A new IRIN series following 20 people in 10 countries as they try to get by in these testing times. The men and women featured – from teachers to truck drivers – describe how they cope with the rising cost of living, and explain their hopes for the future. This series will be regularly updated.” One of the women featured is “Jane Njeri – Displaced person, Kenya.”
A Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Rapid Assessment: Doro Refugee Camp, Upper Nile State, South Sudan (Danish Refugee Council, July 2012) [text via ReliefWeb]
“Strengthened Protection for Internally Displaced Persons in Africa: The Kampala Convention Comes Into Force,” ASIL Insights, vol. 16, no. 36 (Dec. 2012) [text]
Publications on Ideas/Innovations
Are Migrants Spurring Innovation?, MPC Research Report 2012/11 (Migration Policy Centre, 2012) [text]
– See also related Debate Migration blog post.
The Best Small Ideas of 2012 (Foreign Policy Magazine, Dec. 2012) [text via USCRI FB]
“Out of Africa: A Scheme Where Helping Refugees Helps Everybody,” The Independent, 17 Nov. 2012 [text]
Refugee Livelihoods, Innovation and the Private Sector, Oxford, 26 Nov. 2012 [access]
– Conference organized by the Humanitarian Innovation Project.
Social Entrepreneurship in the Age of Atrocities: Changing Our World (Edward Elgar, Aug. 2012) [info]
– Includes chapter on “Starting a Movement for Refugee Rights in the Global South: Asylum Access and Beyond.” See also related blog post.
“A Vacant Lot Offers Refugees a Taste of Home,” New York Times, 27 Nov. 2012 [text]