Details of these new publications were originally circulated by Elisa Mason on the incredibly useful: Forced Migration Current Awareness Blog. Further details can be found on the website at: http://fm-cab.blogspot.co.uk/
Publications on Education
Beyond School Books (Unicef) [access via Refugee Education Initiative]
- “[S]eries of radio programmes on education in countries affected by conflict and natural disasters.” Provided via podcast.
“Connecting with New Information Landscapes: Information Literacy Practices of Refugees,” Journal of Documentation, vol. 69, no. 1 (2013 [abstract]
- See also earlier related article, “Settling in: The Relationship between Information and Social Inclusion.”
Integrating Refugee and Asylum-seeking Children in the Educational Systems of EU Member States (Center for the Study of Democracy, 2012) [text via EMN Belgium]
Prioritizing Education in the Face of Natural Disasters (UpFront Blog, Oct. 2012) [text]
Seeds of Hope (UNHCR, Nov. 2012) [access]
- “20 Years of DAFI: A UNHCR exhibition highlights the impact of higher education for refugee communities.”
Wisdom is like a Baobab Tree: No Individual Can Embrace it – Working and Learning Together towards Empowerment of Female Refugees (Maastricht School of Management, Sept. 2012) [text]
Publications on ICTs
Another Tool in the Toolbox, Report on the Aid & International Development Forum, Washington, DC, 6-7 June 2012 [text]
ICT Humanitarian Emergency Platform [access]
- “[D]eveloped to support IT and telecommunications specialists operating in humanitarian emergencies. This platform is a unique communication and collaboration tool that can help the entire humanitarian community in exchanging knowledge and creating a live network of expertise.”
Interoperability of Mobile Devices for Crisis Management: Outcomes of the 1st JRC ECML Crisis Technology Workshop on Mobile Interoperability for International Field Deployment, Ispra, Italy, 12-13 March 2012 (European Commission, May 2012) [access]
- Follow link for final report and workshop documents.
“New Information Technologies and their Impact on the Humanitarian Sector,” International Review of the Red Cross, no. 884 (2011) [full-text]
Uniting through Technology: A Case Study of the Collaboration between Ericsson, Refugees United and UNHCR for Uniting Refugees (KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sept. 2012) [text]
What Percentage of Tweets Generated during a Crisis are Relevant for Humanitarian Response? (iRevolution, Nov. 2012) [text]
- Includes link to related earlier post describing new project to develop a Twitter Dashboard for the Humanitarian Cluster System.
Publications on Employment/Labour Matters
The UNHCR web site has added a new page that focuses on Labour Mobility for Refugees. The page provides access to materials and presentations from the recently-held conference of the same name, as well as links to a number of related discussion papers and laws/policies.
The Enforcement of Refugees’ Employment Rights in Africa and the Regional Human Rights Framework (Refugee Work Rights, Oct. 2012) [text]
Forced Displacement and Labor Market Access for Women in Colombia, 2001-2011 (Lund University, June 2012) [text]
“From Urban to Rural: Livelihoods and Adaptation of Armenian Refugees,” Chapter in Observing Transformation: Adaptation Strategies in the South Caucasus (Henrich Boell Foundation, 2011) [text]
- Scroll to p. 14.
The Impact of Precarious Legal Status on Immigrants’ Economic Outcomes, IRPP Study, no. 35 (Institute for Research on Public Policy, Oct. 2012) [text]
- Note: The authors of this study will present their findings at a workshop on 29 Nov. 2012 in Toronto.
Refugee Recyclers, Gender Equality Unit – Field Practice Series (UNHCR, Aug. 2012) [text]